No Result
View All Result
Monday, August 24, 2026
MM News
اردو
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • National
  • Showbiz
    Dennis Quaid, David Oyelowo and Forrest Goodluck in the 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves' finale Paramount+

    Popular Paramount+ western ‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ set for Netflix release

    Taana Baana’s ‘Qurban’ Eid campaign draws backlash

    In Pictures: Met Gala Best and Worst looks

    Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz in 2016. (Donato Sardella/Getty)

    Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden welcome third child

    LHC partially suspends damages ruling against Meesha Shafi in Ali Zafar defamation case

    Nimra Khan announces second marriage

    Colombian pop star Shakira performs during her free concert on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Saturday, May 2, 2026. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)

    Shakira lights up Rio with free concert attended by 2 million

    What Dananeer Mobeen is doing in London?

    Riteish Deshmukh’s Raja Shivaji movie garners critical acclaim

    Eric Bana as Kyle Turner, Lily Santiago as Naya Vasquez in Untamed.Courtesy of Netflix

    Fancy gripping mystery? Netflix’s ‘Untamed’ is a must-watch

  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side
MM News
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • National
  • Showbiz
    Dennis Quaid, David Oyelowo and Forrest Goodluck in the 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves' finale Paramount+

    Popular Paramount+ western ‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ set for Netflix release

    Taana Baana’s ‘Qurban’ Eid campaign draws backlash

    In Pictures: Met Gala Best and Worst looks

    Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz in 2016. (Donato Sardella/Getty)

    Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden welcome third child

    LHC partially suspends damages ruling against Meesha Shafi in Ali Zafar defamation case

    Nimra Khan announces second marriage

    Colombian pop star Shakira performs during her free concert on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Saturday, May 2, 2026. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)

    Shakira lights up Rio with free concert attended by 2 million

    What Dananeer Mobeen is doing in London?

    Riteish Deshmukh’s Raja Shivaji movie garners critical acclaim

    Eric Bana as Kyle Turner, Lily Santiago as Naya Vasquez in Untamed.Courtesy of Netflix

    Fancy gripping mystery? Netflix’s ‘Untamed’ is a must-watch

  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
MM News
اردو
  • Latest
  • Showbiz
  • Thought Box
  • Business & Stock
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side-Pakistan
Home Uncategorized

Nine children among 19 dead in New York apartment fire

MM News Staff by MM News Staff
January 10, 2022
Reading Time: 3 mins read
19 people had been confirmed dead and 63 had been wounded in the incident. Source: AFP.

19 people had been confirmed dead and 63 had been wounded in the incident. Source: AFP.

NEW YORK: Nine children were among at least 19 people killed and dozens injured when a fire erupted in a high-rise apartment building in New York on Sunday, in one of America’s worst residential fires in recent memory.

Witnesses reported seeing trapped residents screaming for help from windows during the deadly inferno that the city’s fire chief said was caused by a portable electric heater, leaving victims on “every floor.”

Mayor Eric Adams told reporters that 19 people had been confirmed dead and 63 had been wounded, including several that were in a “critical condition”.

ADVERTISEMENT

“This is going to be one of the worst fires in our history,” he said. “Join me in praying for those we lost, especially the 9 innocent young lives that were cut short,” he added in a later tweet.

At least 200 firefighters responded to the blaze, which broke out on the second and third floors of a 19-story building in The Bronx. The mainly working-class borough is home to a large number of immigrants and Adams said many of the building’s residents had been Muslims who moved to New York from Gambia.

Photographs and video posted on social media showed flames and thick black smoke billowing out of a third-story window of the brick building at East 181st Street as firefighters operated on a nearby ladder. The injured were taken to five hospitals; many suffered from cardiac and respiratory arrest and severe smoke inhalation, officials said.

“The marshals have determined through physical evidence and through firsthand accounts by the residents that this fire started in a bedroom in a portable electric heater,” New York City Fire Department Commissioner Daniel Nigro told reporters.

He said that flames quickly engulfed much of the structure and that the smoke was so dense as to be “unprecedented.” Nigro added that “very heavy” fire and smoke “extended the entire height of the building.” “Members found victims on every floor, in stairwells,” he said.

“The last time we had a loss of life that may be this horrific was a fire which was over 30 years ago, also here in the Bronx,” Nigro added. He explained that the fire originated in a duplex apartment on the second and third floors of the building.

The door to the apartment had been left open, allowing the fire and smoke to spread, he said. “If you close the door the smoke and fire spread is contained within that apartment instead of spreading up the stairs,” Nigro told reporters. Buildings like this one don’t have fire escapes, he added.

Adams, who only took office on Jan 1, said the fire was “truly a tragedy,” adding that many residents had been displaced. “This is really a horrific day for us,” he said.

Nigro said the fire was the worst since a blaze at Happy Land nightclub in 1990 in the Bronx, which killed 87 people and had been caused by arson.

In December 2017, 13 people were killed in a blaze in an apartment building in the Bronx in New York City’s deadliest fire in 25 years. It was started by a three-year-old boy playing with a gas stove.

The incident comes just four days after a fire in Philadelphia killed 12 people, including eight children, in a three-story public housing building.

Tags: apartmentFireNew York
ShareTweetSendShare
Previous Post

Australia can inspire a generation of cricketers by touring Pakistan: Khawaja

Next Post

China appoints former paramilitary chief as new Hong Kong commander

Related Stories

According to reports, police in Karachi’s South district took into custody eight women, including leaders of the Aurat March and the transgender community, as they arrived at the press club to hold a press conference.
Uncategorized

Sheema Kermani among eight Aurat March activists arrested

May 5, 2026
(File)
Uncategorized

Tariq Malik recognized among world’s top identity leaders

May 5, 2026
Uncategorized

Three Karachi young men drown in Hub River

May 3, 2026
Uncategorized

Battle of Truth: Pakistan’s Strategic Triumph

May 3, 2026
Next Post
Peng was previously chief of staff of the Armed Police Force in Xinjiang, Source: Oriental Review.

China appoints former paramilitary chief as new Hong Kong commander

Latest

Oil prices fall a second day as Trump indicates possible Iran peace deal

4 months ago

The disconnect in Pakistan’s Hepatitis C elimination drive

4 months ago

Pakistan welcomes first transshipment cargo vessel of May at Gwadar Port

4 months ago

Heidi Klum’s craziest looks through the years

4 months ago

Pakistan Navy saves 6 Indian crew members in Arabian Sea

4 months ago

Revised timings for gyms, sports activities announced in Islamabad

4 months ago

Pakistan Army top brass rejects Taliban’s propaganda

4 months ago

Israel extends detention of Gaza flotilla activists, lawyers say

4 months ago

Latest

Oil prices fall a second day as Trump indicates possible Iran peace deal

4 months ago

The disconnect in Pakistan’s Hepatitis C elimination drive

4 months ago

Pakistan welcomes first transshipment cargo vessel of May at Gwadar Port

4 months ago

Heidi Klum’s craziest looks through the years

4 months ago

Pakistan Navy saves 6 Indian crew members in Arabian Sea

4 months ago

Revised timings for gyms, sports activities announced in Islamabad

4 months ago

MM Digital (Pvt.) Ltd.

MM News is a subsidiary of the MM Group of Companies. It was established in 2019 with the aim of providing people of Pakistan access to unbiased information. Contact Details: 03200201537

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Advertise
  • MM News Urdu
  • The Other Side-Pakistan
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Top Pages

  • Latest News
  • Showbiz
  • OP-ED
  • Technology
No Result
View All Result
  • Latest News
  • Showbiz
  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology

© Copyright 2024 MMNews - All Rights Reserved.