No Result
View All Result
Monday, August 24, 2026
MM News
اردو
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • National
  • Showbiz
    Dennis Quaid, David Oyelowo and Forrest Goodluck in the 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves' finale Paramount+

    Popular Paramount+ western ‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ set for Netflix release

    Taana Baana’s ‘Qurban’ Eid campaign draws backlash

    In Pictures: Met Gala Best and Worst looks

    Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz in 2016. (Donato Sardella/Getty)

    Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden welcome third child

    LHC partially suspends damages ruling against Meesha Shafi in Ali Zafar defamation case

    Nimra Khan announces second marriage

    Colombian pop star Shakira performs during her free concert on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Saturday, May 2, 2026. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)

    Shakira lights up Rio with free concert attended by 2 million

    What Dananeer Mobeen is doing in London?

    Riteish Deshmukh’s Raja Shivaji movie garners critical acclaim

    Eric Bana as Kyle Turner, Lily Santiago as Naya Vasquez in Untamed.Courtesy of Netflix

    Fancy gripping mystery? Netflix’s ‘Untamed’ is a must-watch

  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side
MM News
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • National
  • Showbiz
    Dennis Quaid, David Oyelowo and Forrest Goodluck in the 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves' finale Paramount+

    Popular Paramount+ western ‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ set for Netflix release

    Taana Baana’s ‘Qurban’ Eid campaign draws backlash

    In Pictures: Met Gala Best and Worst looks

    Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz in 2016. (Donato Sardella/Getty)

    Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden welcome third child

    LHC partially suspends damages ruling against Meesha Shafi in Ali Zafar defamation case

    Nimra Khan announces second marriage

    Colombian pop star Shakira performs during her free concert on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Saturday, May 2, 2026. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)

    Shakira lights up Rio with free concert attended by 2 million

    What Dananeer Mobeen is doing in London?

    Riteish Deshmukh’s Raja Shivaji movie garners critical acclaim

    Eric Bana as Kyle Turner, Lily Santiago as Naya Vasquez in Untamed.Courtesy of Netflix

    Fancy gripping mystery? Netflix’s ‘Untamed’ is a must-watch

  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
MM News
اردو
  • Latest
  • Showbiz
  • Thought Box
  • Business & Stock
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side-Pakistan
Home Uncategorized

WTA, ATP cancel all tennis tournaments in China

MM News Staff by MM News Staff
July 24, 2020
Reading Time: 2 mins read
SHANGHAI: All international tennis tournaments in China this year, including the Shanghai Masters and WTA Finals, were cancelled on Friday due the coronavirus pandemic.
The major blow to attempts to restart tennis comes after China said it would not stage most international sports events for the rest of 2020 to keep the pandemic in check.
“We are extremely disappointed that our world-class events in China will not take place this year,” Steve Simon, head of the Women’s Tennis Association, said in a statement. “We do however respect the decision that has been made (by Chinese authorities) and are eager to return to China as soon as possible next season.”
Among the seven WTA events cancelled is the Wuhan Open in October, which promised to be symbolic as the city was at the centre of the coronavirus outbreak when it emerged late last year. The ATP also said it was cancelling tournaments in China for the rest of the year, including the prestigious Shanghai Masters and China Open in Beijing.
“Our approach throughout this pandemic has been to always follow local guidance when staging events. We respect the Chinese government’s decision to do what’s best for the country in response to the unprecedented global situation,” said Andrea Gaudenzi, ATP chairman. “It’s with a heavy heart that we announce ATP tournaments will not be played in China this year.”
The tennis season has been at a standstill since mid-March due to the virus outbreak worldwide and is struggling to restart. The ATP said earlier this week that a tournament in Washington DC that marked the start of the men’s tennis season next month has been cancelled.
US Open organisers insisted that would not impact the behind-closed-doors Grand Slam scheduled for the end of August. The Cincinnati Open and US Open are still scheduled to take place in New York from August 20, despite several leading figures in men’s tennis casting doubts over the Grand Slam. World number one Novak Djokovic said he was undecided over whether to compete in the US Open.
The women’s WTA tour is scheduled to restart on 3rd August in Palermo, Italy, making it the first event on the recently announced new calendar.
The cancellations come as sports is slowly returning to the country. However, all major international sports events are in major doubt including the postponed Formula One Grand Prix in Shanghai.
ADVERTISEMENT
Tags: atpChinatennistournamentswtp
ShareTweetSendShare
Previous Post

IHC orders PTA to lift PUBG ban

Next Post

Javelin thrower becomes first Pakistani athlete to qualify for Tokyo Olympics

Related Stories

According to reports, police in Karachi’s South district took into custody eight women, including leaders of the Aurat March and the transgender community, as they arrived at the press club to hold a press conference.
Uncategorized

Sheema Kermani among eight Aurat March activists arrested

May 5, 2026
(File)
Uncategorized

Tariq Malik recognized among world’s top identity leaders

May 5, 2026
Uncategorized

Three Karachi young men drown in Hub River

May 3, 2026
Uncategorized

Battle of Truth: Pakistan’s Strategic Triumph

May 3, 2026
Next Post

Javelin thrower becomes first Pakistani athlete to qualify for Tokyo Olympics

Latest

Oil prices fall a second day as Trump indicates possible Iran peace deal

4 months ago

The disconnect in Pakistan’s Hepatitis C elimination drive

4 months ago

Pakistan welcomes first transshipment cargo vessel of May at Gwadar Port

4 months ago

Heidi Klum’s craziest looks through the years

4 months ago

Pakistan Navy saves 6 Indian crew members in Arabian Sea

4 months ago

Revised timings for gyms, sports activities announced in Islamabad

4 months ago

Pakistan Army top brass rejects Taliban’s propaganda

4 months ago

Israel extends detention of Gaza flotilla activists, lawyers say

4 months ago

Latest

Oil prices fall a second day as Trump indicates possible Iran peace deal

4 months ago

The disconnect in Pakistan’s Hepatitis C elimination drive

4 months ago

Pakistan welcomes first transshipment cargo vessel of May at Gwadar Port

4 months ago

Heidi Klum’s craziest looks through the years

4 months ago

Pakistan Navy saves 6 Indian crew members in Arabian Sea

4 months ago

Revised timings for gyms, sports activities announced in Islamabad

4 months ago

MM Digital (Pvt.) Ltd.

MM News is a subsidiary of the MM Group of Companies. It was established in 2019 with the aim of providing people of Pakistan access to unbiased information. Contact Details: 03200201537

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Advertise
  • MM News Urdu
  • The Other Side-Pakistan
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Top Pages

  • Latest News
  • Showbiz
  • OP-ED
  • Technology
No Result
View All Result
  • Latest News
  • Showbiz
  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology

© Copyright 2024 MMNews - All Rights Reserved.