KINGSTON: Darren Bravo was among three West Indies cricketers to turn down a place in the squad for next month’s three-Test tour of England.
Cricket West Indies (CWI) made the announcement saying that fellow batsman Shimron Hetmyer and fast-bowling all-rounder Keemo Paul will also be missing out.
“Darren Bravo, Shimron Hetmyer and Keemo Paul all declined the invitation to travel to England for the tour and CWI fully respects their decision to choose to do so,” CWI said in a statement. “As previously stated, CWI will not hold this decision against these players when considering future selection.”
Jason Holder will lead a 14-man squad that features two newcomers, fast bowler Chemar Holder and middle-order batsman Nkrumah Bonner.
The squad also includes Shai Hope, who became the first batsman to score hundreds in both innings of a first-class match during 2017 Test match win at Headingley.
The three Tests were rescheduled because of the coronavirus outbreak and will be played behind closed doors. The series that will span just 21 days remains subject to final approval from the UK government.
The touring party will all be tested for COVID-19 this week and are scheduled to fly to England on private chartered airplanes on June 8.
The West Indies squad will live, train and play in a ‘bio-secure’ environment during the seven weeks of the tour. The health protocols are part of the medical plan to ensure player and staff safety and also includes restricting movement in and out of the venues.
Selectors have also named eleven reserve players who will travel to train and help prepare the Test squad, while ensuring injury replacements are readily available.
“The new cricketing environment will take some getting used to,” said CWI chief selector Roger Harper. “However, being in England and working together for four weeks before the first Test will give the squad the opportunity to get acclimatised and hopefully, mentally and technically adjusted to the demands of the new environment.”
This tour is vital in reducing the financial impact of the coronavirus on cricket. The England and Wales Cricket Board estimated it could lose £252 million if there are no fixtures at all this summer.
West Indies squad: Jason Holder (captain), Jermaine Blackwood, Nkrumah Bonner, Kraigg Brathwaite, Shamarh Brooks, John Campbell, Roston Chase, Rahkeem Cornwall, Shane Dowrich, Chemar Holder, Shai Hope, Alzarri Joseph, Raymon Reifer, Kemar Roach
ADVERTISEMENT














