No Result
View All Result
Monday, August 24, 2026
MM News
اردو
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • National
  • Showbiz
    Dennis Quaid, David Oyelowo and Forrest Goodluck in the 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves' finale Paramount+

    Popular Paramount+ western ‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ set for Netflix release

    Taana Baana’s ‘Qurban’ Eid campaign draws backlash

    In Pictures: Met Gala Best and Worst looks

    Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz in 2016. (Donato Sardella/Getty)

    Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden welcome third child

    LHC partially suspends damages ruling against Meesha Shafi in Ali Zafar defamation case

    Nimra Khan announces second marriage

    Colombian pop star Shakira performs during her free concert on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Saturday, May 2, 2026. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)

    Shakira lights up Rio with free concert attended by 2 million

    What Dananeer Mobeen is doing in London?

    Riteish Deshmukh’s Raja Shivaji movie garners critical acclaim

    Eric Bana as Kyle Turner, Lily Santiago as Naya Vasquez in Untamed.Courtesy of Netflix

    Fancy gripping mystery? Netflix’s ‘Untamed’ is a must-watch

  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side
MM News
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • National
  • Showbiz
    Dennis Quaid, David Oyelowo and Forrest Goodluck in the 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves' finale Paramount+

    Popular Paramount+ western ‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ set for Netflix release

    Taana Baana’s ‘Qurban’ Eid campaign draws backlash

    In Pictures: Met Gala Best and Worst looks

    Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz in 2016. (Donato Sardella/Getty)

    Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden welcome third child

    LHC partially suspends damages ruling against Meesha Shafi in Ali Zafar defamation case

    Nimra Khan announces second marriage

    Colombian pop star Shakira performs during her free concert on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Saturday, May 2, 2026. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)

    Shakira lights up Rio with free concert attended by 2 million

    What Dananeer Mobeen is doing in London?

    Riteish Deshmukh’s Raja Shivaji movie garners critical acclaim

    Eric Bana as Kyle Turner, Lily Santiago as Naya Vasquez in Untamed.Courtesy of Netflix

    Fancy gripping mystery? Netflix’s ‘Untamed’ is a must-watch

  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
MM News
اردو
  • Latest
  • Showbiz
  • Thought Box
  • Business & Stock
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side-Pakistan
Home Uncategorized

Trudeau announces ban on 1,500 kinds of assault weapons

MM News Staff by MM News Staff
May 2, 2020
Reading Time: 2 mins read
OTTAWA: Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced an immediate ban on military-grade assault weapons following the country’s deadliest-ever mass shooting that left 22 people dead last month.
“These weapons were designed for one purpose, and one purpose only: to kill the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time,” Trudeau told a news briefing.
He said his government has approved a decree banning the sale, purchase, use, transport and import of 1,500 models of military-grade assault weapons and their variants. “There is no use, and no place for such weapons in Canada,” Trudeau said.
The killing spree began on the night of April 18 in Nova Scotia and led to a 13-hour manhunt for the shooter, who was eventually shot dead by police. Authorities have said the assailant, identified as 51-year-old Gabriel Wortman, was wearing a police uniform, driving a mock police car, and had several guns with him including at least one assault-style weapon.
“For many families, including indigenous people, firearms are part of traditions passed down through generations, and the vast majority of gun owners use them safely, responsibly, and in accordance with the law, whether it be for work, sports shooting, for collecting or for hunting,” Trudeau said. “You don’t need an AR-15 to bring down a deer,” he added.
Mass shootings are less common in Canada than in the United States “but the heartbreaking truth is, they’re happening more often than they once did,” the prime minister said.
“Events like the recent tragedy in Nova Scotia, the attack in 2017 at the Centre Culturel Islamique de Quebec and the massacre that took place in 1989 at Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal should never have happened,” he continued.
On January 29, 2017, a man known for his far-right sympathies opened fire on worshippers praying at the Quebec City mosque, killing six people and seriously injuring several others.
On December 6, 1989, a 25-year-old man burst into classrooms at a Montreal institute armed with a gun and a knife and shot at women, killing 13 female students and a secretary. The tragedy led to the creation in 1995 of a mandatory gun registry but it was abolished for hunting guns in 2012.
Trudeau made banning assault weapons part of his campaign for elections that brought him to power in 2015. He repeated the pledge while campaigning for the October 2019 elections in which he won another term.
Trudeau said there will be a two-year amnesty for people who currently own assault-style weapons to protect them from liability, and parliament will eventually pass legislation to compensate them for turning in their guns.
The government said there are currently more than 100,000 guns in circulation in Canada which would fall under the new prohibitions. Among the weapons now banned are the Ruger Mini-14 use in Montreal attack, VZ 58 rifle, used in Quebec, and the M16, AR-10 and AR-15 rifles.
ADVERTISEMENT
Tags: assaultCanadaTrudeauWeapons
ShareTweetSendShare
Previous Post

North Korea’s Kim makes public appearance amid speculation

Next Post

WHO defends coronavirus outbreak response

Related Stories

According to reports, police in Karachi’s South district took into custody eight women, including leaders of the Aurat March and the transgender community, as they arrived at the press club to hold a press conference.
Uncategorized

Sheema Kermani among eight Aurat March activists arrested

May 5, 2026
(File)
Uncategorized

Tariq Malik recognized among world’s top identity leaders

May 5, 2026
Uncategorized

Three Karachi young men drown in Hub River

May 3, 2026
Uncategorized

Battle of Truth: Pakistan’s Strategic Triumph

May 3, 2026
Next Post
WHO Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus

WHO defends coronavirus outbreak response

Latest

Oil prices fall a second day as Trump indicates possible Iran peace deal

4 months ago

The disconnect in Pakistan’s Hepatitis C elimination drive

4 months ago

Pakistan welcomes first transshipment cargo vessel of May at Gwadar Port

4 months ago

Heidi Klum’s craziest looks through the years

4 months ago

Pakistan Navy saves 6 Indian crew members in Arabian Sea

4 months ago

Revised timings for gyms, sports activities announced in Islamabad

4 months ago

Pakistan Army top brass rejects Taliban’s propaganda

4 months ago

Israel extends detention of Gaza flotilla activists, lawyers say

4 months ago

Latest

Oil prices fall a second day as Trump indicates possible Iran peace deal

4 months ago

The disconnect in Pakistan’s Hepatitis C elimination drive

4 months ago

Pakistan welcomes first transshipment cargo vessel of May at Gwadar Port

4 months ago

Heidi Klum’s craziest looks through the years

4 months ago

Pakistan Navy saves 6 Indian crew members in Arabian Sea

4 months ago

Revised timings for gyms, sports activities announced in Islamabad

4 months ago

MM Digital (Pvt.) Ltd.

MM News is a subsidiary of the MM Group of Companies. It was established in 2019 with the aim of providing people of Pakistan access to unbiased information. Contact Details: 03200201537

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Advertise
  • MM News Urdu
  • The Other Side-Pakistan
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Top Pages

  • Latest News
  • Showbiz
  • OP-ED
  • Technology
No Result
View All Result
  • Latest News
  • Showbiz
  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology

© Copyright 2024 MMNews - All Rights Reserved.