ISLAMABAD: Defence Minister Pervez Khattak on Saturday said that an agreement has been reached with the opposition according to which the participants of the ‘Azadi March’ will not enter D-Chowk.
Address a press conference with members of the opposition’s Rehbar Committee and the government, the defence minister said that both sides held a successful meeting and have reached an understanding.
“Akram Durrani has assured me that participants of the march will not enter the Red Zone,” he said. “Whether it is a dharna or a jalsa, it should be peaceful.”
Khattak said that the Rehbar Committee had not asked for the prime minister’s resignation neither had it put forth the demand for fresh elections.
“We hope the JUI-F will conduct its protest within the limitations of the constitution,” he said.
“If that happens, then the government will not block any roads or create any hurdles for the march. The containers will start going away,” he added.
Khattak said that the JUI-F will hold its political rally in at the Peshawar Mor ground instead. He refuted allegations that a deal had been reached between the government and the Rehbar committee.
“No deal has taken place. We are democratic people. This is not like the NRO. That happens when someone does something bad,” he said.
The two sides held two rounds of talks which concluded late Friday night and continued the next day.
The government team insisted on Parade Ground as venue of the Azadi March, referring to a past decision of the Islamabad High Court (IHC).
ADVERTISEMENT














