The International Federation of Association Football (FIFA) has rejected a request to move Iran’s matches in the 2026 Football World Cup from the United States to Mexico.
According to a spokesperson, the matches will be held as per the original schedule, and FIFA remains in contact with all participating teams. Meanwhile, Iran’s sports minister has hinted at a possible boycott of the event.
FIFA made it clear that all matches will take place as per the previously announced schedule, dismissing Iran’s request for relocation.
In its statement, FIFA said it is in continuous communication with all member nations, including Iran, and discussions regarding World Cup 2026 arrangements are ongoing. It added that teams will play according to the schedule released on December 6, 2025.
Concerns over Iran’s participation arose after tensions escalated following the conflict involving the United States and Israel against Iran, which began on February 28. Due to security concerns, Iran had requested that its matches be shifted to Mexico instead of being held in the US.
Last week, US President Donald Trump said the Iranian team could travel to the US, but also noted that their presence might not be appropriate due to security concerns.















