KUWAIT CITY: Sheikh Nawaf Al Ahmed Al Sabah has been appointed the new Emir of Kuwait after the death of his half-brother.
Sheikh Nawaf, 83, was temporarily given some of the Emir’s constitutional duties on July 18 when the Emir was admitted to hospital for medical checks.
Under Kuwaiti law, in the absence of the monarch, the crown prince is appointed as acting ruler. Sheikh Nawaf was sworn in as crown prince in 2006 after Sheikh Sabah was appointed Emir.
The State of Kuwait declared an official mourning for a period of 40 days and the closure of official departments for a period of three days.
Sheikh Nawaf was the Emir’s half brother and held previously the position of Minister of Defence and the Minister of Interior. Currently, Sheikh Nawaf is the oldest Crown Prince in the world.
After the 1990 invasion of Iraq, Sheikh Nawaf assumed the post of Minister of Labour and Social Affairs, which he held until 1992. Between 1994 and 2003, Sheikh Nawaf was appointed the deputy chief of the National Guard.
READ MORE: Emir of Kuwait Sheikh Sabah passes away
Sheikh Nawaf played a key role in maintaining the stability and security of the Gulf and played an active role in the meetings of the interior ministers of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC).
Kuwait Emir Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad passed away at 91 on Tuesday. He ruled Kuwait since 2006 and steered its foreign policy for more than 50 years.
“With the utmost sadness and grief for the Kuwaiti people, the Islamic and Arab world and people of friendly nations, the Emiri Diwan mourns the death of Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah, the emir of Kuwait,” his office said.
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior and Anas Al Saleh in a parliament session said that Emir passed away in the United States. The Emir was admitted to hospital on July 18 for medical checks and then, a day later underwent successful surgery.
ADVERTISEMENT














