No Result
View All Result
Monday, August 24, 2026
MM News
اردو
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • National
  • Showbiz
    Dennis Quaid, David Oyelowo and Forrest Goodluck in the 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves' finale Paramount+

    Popular Paramount+ western ‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ set for Netflix release

    Taana Baana’s ‘Qurban’ Eid campaign draws backlash

    In Pictures: Met Gala Best and Worst looks

    Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz in 2016. (Donato Sardella/Getty)

    Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden welcome third child

    LHC partially suspends damages ruling against Meesha Shafi in Ali Zafar defamation case

    Nimra Khan announces second marriage

    Colombian pop star Shakira performs during her free concert on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Saturday, May 2, 2026. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)

    Shakira lights up Rio with free concert attended by 2 million

    What Dananeer Mobeen is doing in London?

    Riteish Deshmukh’s Raja Shivaji movie garners critical acclaim

    Eric Bana as Kyle Turner, Lily Santiago as Naya Vasquez in Untamed.Courtesy of Netflix

    Fancy gripping mystery? Netflix’s ‘Untamed’ is a must-watch

  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side
MM News
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • National
  • Showbiz
    Dennis Quaid, David Oyelowo and Forrest Goodluck in the 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves' finale Paramount+

    Popular Paramount+ western ‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ set for Netflix release

    Taana Baana’s ‘Qurban’ Eid campaign draws backlash

    In Pictures: Met Gala Best and Worst looks

    Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz in 2016. (Donato Sardella/Getty)

    Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden welcome third child

    LHC partially suspends damages ruling against Meesha Shafi in Ali Zafar defamation case

    Nimra Khan announces second marriage

    Colombian pop star Shakira performs during her free concert on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Saturday, May 2, 2026. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)

    Shakira lights up Rio with free concert attended by 2 million

    What Dananeer Mobeen is doing in London?

    Riteish Deshmukh’s Raja Shivaji movie garners critical acclaim

    Eric Bana as Kyle Turner, Lily Santiago as Naya Vasquez in Untamed.Courtesy of Netflix

    Fancy gripping mystery? Netflix’s ‘Untamed’ is a must-watch

  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
MM News
اردو
  • Latest
  • Showbiz
  • Thought Box
  • Business & Stock
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side-Pakistan
Home World

Trump threatens to permanently halt WHO funding

MM News Staff by MM News Staff
May 19, 2020
Reading Time: 2 mins read
WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump has threatened to permanently halt funding for the World Health Organisation (WHO) and withdraw the United States from the UN health agency unless there are substantive improvements in the next thirty days.
Trump has said he is going to halt funding to the World Health Organization (WHO) because it has failed in its basic duty in response to the coronavirus outbreak. He accused the UN agency of mismanaging and covering up the spread of the virus after it emerged in China, adding that it must be held accountable.
Earlier on Monday, Trump attacked the WHO as a “puppet of China”. The president froze US funding for the WHO in April. The UN’s chief said it was not the time to cut funds to the WHO.
Trump has been under fire for his own handling of the pandemic. He has sought to deflect criticism that he acted too slow to stop the spread of the virus regarding his decision in late January to place restrictions on travel from China.
He has accused the WHO of having criticised that decision and of being biased towards China more generally. “I am directing my administration to halt funding while a review is conducted to assess the World Health Organisation’s role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus,” Trump told a news conference at the White House.

This is the letter sent to Dr. Tedros of the World Health Organization. It is self-explanatory! pic.twitter.com/pF2kzPUpDv

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 19, 2020

The US is the global health body’s largest single funder and gave it more than $400m in 2019. A decision on whether the US resumes funding will be made after the review which could last 60 to 90 days.
The WHO has not directly responded but UN Secretary-General António Guterres said the international community should be uniting in solidarity to stop this virus. “It is my belief that the World Health Organisation must be supported, as it is absolutely critical to the world’s efforts to win the war against COVID-19,” he said.
The WHO launched an appeal in March for $675m to help fight the coronavirus pandemic and is reported to be planning a fresh appeal for at least $1bn. Bill Gates has said that halting funding for the WHO during a world health crisis is as dangerous as it sounds.
ADVERTISEMENT
Tags: Donald TrumpFUNDINGHealthUNUSAWHO
ShareTweetSendShare
Previous Post

OIC mobilises resources to tackle impact of coronavirus

Next Post

90 percent of world’s museums closed amid COVID-19 crisis: UNESCO

Related Stories

World

Trump pauses Hormuz shipping under Project Freedom

May 6, 2026
File photo
World

Israel extends detention of Gaza flotilla activists, lawyers say

May 5, 2026
Online
World

Trump says stronger US–China relations preferable to conflict

May 5, 2026
Trump urges other nations to send ships to secure Strait of Hormuz
World

US warns of ‘devastating’ response to any Iran attack on shipping

May 5, 2026
Next Post

90 percent of world's museums closed amid COVID-19 crisis: UNESCO

Latest

Oil prices fall a second day as Trump indicates possible Iran peace deal

4 months ago

The disconnect in Pakistan’s Hepatitis C elimination drive

4 months ago

Pakistan welcomes first transshipment cargo vessel of May at Gwadar Port

4 months ago

Heidi Klum’s craziest looks through the years

4 months ago

Pakistan Navy saves 6 Indian crew members in Arabian Sea

4 months ago

Revised timings for gyms, sports activities announced in Islamabad

4 months ago

Pakistan Army top brass rejects Taliban’s propaganda

4 months ago

Israel extends detention of Gaza flotilla activists, lawyers say

4 months ago

Latest

Oil prices fall a second day as Trump indicates possible Iran peace deal

4 months ago

The disconnect in Pakistan’s Hepatitis C elimination drive

4 months ago

Pakistan welcomes first transshipment cargo vessel of May at Gwadar Port

4 months ago

Heidi Klum’s craziest looks through the years

4 months ago

Pakistan Navy saves 6 Indian crew members in Arabian Sea

4 months ago

Revised timings for gyms, sports activities announced in Islamabad

4 months ago

MM Digital (Pvt.) Ltd.

MM News is a subsidiary of the MM Group of Companies. It was established in 2019 with the aim of providing people of Pakistan access to unbiased information. Contact Details: 03200201537

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Advertise
  • MM News Urdu
  • The Other Side-Pakistan
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Top Pages

  • Latest News
  • Showbiz
  • OP-ED
  • Technology
No Result
View All Result
  • Latest News
  • Showbiz
  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology

© Copyright 2024 MMNews - All Rights Reserved.