No Result
View All Result
Monday, August 24, 2026
MM News
اردو
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • National
  • Showbiz
    Dennis Quaid, David Oyelowo and Forrest Goodluck in the 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves' finale Paramount+

    Popular Paramount+ western ‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ set for Netflix release

    Taana Baana’s ‘Qurban’ Eid campaign draws backlash

    In Pictures: Met Gala Best and Worst looks

    Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz in 2016. (Donato Sardella/Getty)

    Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden welcome third child

    LHC partially suspends damages ruling against Meesha Shafi in Ali Zafar defamation case

    Nimra Khan announces second marriage

    Colombian pop star Shakira performs during her free concert on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Saturday, May 2, 2026. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)

    Shakira lights up Rio with free concert attended by 2 million

    What Dananeer Mobeen is doing in London?

    Riteish Deshmukh’s Raja Shivaji movie garners critical acclaim

    Eric Bana as Kyle Turner, Lily Santiago as Naya Vasquez in Untamed.Courtesy of Netflix

    Fancy gripping mystery? Netflix’s ‘Untamed’ is a must-watch

  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side
MM News
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • National
  • Showbiz
    Dennis Quaid, David Oyelowo and Forrest Goodluck in the 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves' finale Paramount+

    Popular Paramount+ western ‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ set for Netflix release

    Taana Baana’s ‘Qurban’ Eid campaign draws backlash

    In Pictures: Met Gala Best and Worst looks

    Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz in 2016. (Donato Sardella/Getty)

    Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden welcome third child

    LHC partially suspends damages ruling against Meesha Shafi in Ali Zafar defamation case

    Nimra Khan announces second marriage

    Colombian pop star Shakira performs during her free concert on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Saturday, May 2, 2026. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)

    Shakira lights up Rio with free concert attended by 2 million

    What Dananeer Mobeen is doing in London?

    Riteish Deshmukh’s Raja Shivaji movie garners critical acclaim

    Eric Bana as Kyle Turner, Lily Santiago as Naya Vasquez in Untamed.Courtesy of Netflix

    Fancy gripping mystery? Netflix’s ‘Untamed’ is a must-watch

  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
MM News
اردو
  • Latest
  • Showbiz
  • Thought Box
  • Business & Stock
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side-Pakistan
Home World

UK court rejects claim of £35m to Pakistan in Nizam case

Salima Bhutto by Salima Bhutto
October 3, 2019
Reading Time: 3 mins read
UK court rejects claim of £35m to Pakistan in Nizam case

UK court rejects claim of £35m to Pakistan in Nizam case

LONDON: A United Kingdom high court has said that the £35 million held in a London bank account would go to the descendants of the Indian royal Nizam of Hyderabad and not to Pakistan.
The United Kingdom high court ruled in favour of the descendants of the Indian royal Nizam of Hyderabad and handed out the judgment at the Rolls Building.
The ruling was headed by Justice Marcus Smith and said that Pakistan lacked evidence to prove its claim to the money.
Pakistan had presented evidence that it had been given the money by nizam in order to procure arms, but the court determined it had the right to rule in the case.
Read Pakistan summons Indian envoy over ceasefire violations
The court said that the money had been deposited in a British bank account and the heirs had a case. The sons of the nizam argued that Pakistan only held the money as a trustee and it actually belonged to them as they were the legal beneficiaries.
Pakistan claimed that the fund belongs to its government as the money was transferred to compensate for the weapons it provided to the nizam before Hyderabad’s annexation in 1948. It had also said that the fund was sent to keep it out of India’s possession.
The judge said there was no evidence that suggests the money in the NatWest bank was given for the purchase of the arms.
The court dismissed Pakistan’s argument that Hyderabad was illegally annexed, saying any such alleged illegality would, in any case, be irrelevant to the claim.
Commenting on the ruling, the Foreign Office (FO) in Islamabad said it would take further action after examining the detailed judgment.
The FO said that the judgment has rejected the longstanding claims of the two major parties and upheld the claims of the heirs of Nizam of Hyderabad.
A statement, issued by the FO said, “The ruling does not take into account the historical context of the transfer when India illegally annexed Hyderabad in violation of international law and all civilised norms, leading the Nizam of Hyderabad to make desperate efforts to defend his people and the state from Indian invasion.”
The FO added that the nizam also raised the matter with the UN Security Council where the issue remains on the agenda to date. The Nizam as a sovereign approached Pakistan for assistance which the government provided.
The statement added, “Pakistan is closely examining all aspects of the detailed judgment and will take further action in light of legal advice received.”
The dispute started in 1948 when the last Nizam of Hyderabad Mir Osman Ali Khan deposited £1m in a London bank account, held by the then Pakistan high commissioner, for safe-keeping.
He had deposited the money as he didn’t trust India and requested Pakistan to keep money for him. The seventh Nizam of Hyderabad had refused to join either India or Pakistan.
Hyderabad in 1947-48 was a princely state and was taken over by India in 1948 in a military operation. The nizam had transferred money to London shortly before the annexation.
The descendants of Nizam (Mukarram Jah, the titular eighth Nizam of Hyderabad and his younger brother Muffakham Jah) had joined hands with the Indian government in the legal battle against Pakistan.
The seventh Nizam had sought the return of the funds in the 1950s, claiming that the transfer had been made without his authority.
ADVERTISEMENT
Tags: Foreign OfficeHyderabadIndiaMM groupmm newsmm tvNizamNizam casepakistan
ShareTweetSendShare
Previous Post

Countering CPEC bottlenecks: PM to visit China next week

Next Post

LoC violations: FO summons Indian deputy commissioner

Related Stories

World

Trump pauses Hormuz shipping under Project Freedom

May 6, 2026
File photo
World

Israel extends detention of Gaza flotilla activists, lawyers say

May 5, 2026
Online
World

Trump says stronger US–China relations preferable to conflict

May 5, 2026
Trump urges other nations to send ships to secure Strait of Hormuz
World

US warns of ‘devastating’ response to any Iran attack on shipping

May 5, 2026
Next Post
LoC ceasefire violations: FO summons Indian deputy commissioner

LoC violations: FO summons Indian deputy commissioner

Latest

Oil prices fall a second day as Trump indicates possible Iran peace deal

4 months ago

The disconnect in Pakistan’s Hepatitis C elimination drive

4 months ago

Pakistan welcomes first transshipment cargo vessel of May at Gwadar Port

4 months ago

Heidi Klum’s craziest looks through the years

4 months ago

Pakistan Navy saves 6 Indian crew members in Arabian Sea

4 months ago

Revised timings for gyms, sports activities announced in Islamabad

4 months ago

Pakistan Army top brass rejects Taliban’s propaganda

4 months ago

Israel extends detention of Gaza flotilla activists, lawyers say

4 months ago

Latest

Oil prices fall a second day as Trump indicates possible Iran peace deal

4 months ago

The disconnect in Pakistan’s Hepatitis C elimination drive

4 months ago

Pakistan welcomes first transshipment cargo vessel of May at Gwadar Port

4 months ago

Heidi Klum’s craziest looks through the years

4 months ago

Pakistan Navy saves 6 Indian crew members in Arabian Sea

4 months ago

Revised timings for gyms, sports activities announced in Islamabad

4 months ago

MM Digital (Pvt.) Ltd.

MM News is a subsidiary of the MM Group of Companies. It was established in 2019 with the aim of providing people of Pakistan access to unbiased information. Contact Details: 03200201537

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Advertise
  • MM News Urdu
  • The Other Side-Pakistan
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Top Pages

  • Latest News
  • Showbiz
  • OP-ED
  • Technology
No Result
View All Result
  • Latest News
  • Showbiz
  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology

© Copyright 2024 MMNews - All Rights Reserved.