No Result
View All Result
Monday, August 24, 2026
MM News
اردو
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • National
  • Showbiz
    Dennis Quaid, David Oyelowo and Forrest Goodluck in the 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves' finale Paramount+

    Popular Paramount+ western ‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ set for Netflix release

    Taana Baana’s ‘Qurban’ Eid campaign draws backlash

    In Pictures: Met Gala Best and Worst looks

    Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz in 2016. (Donato Sardella/Getty)

    Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden welcome third child

    LHC partially suspends damages ruling against Meesha Shafi in Ali Zafar defamation case

    Nimra Khan announces second marriage

    Colombian pop star Shakira performs during her free concert on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Saturday, May 2, 2026. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)

    Shakira lights up Rio with free concert attended by 2 million

    What Dananeer Mobeen is doing in London?

    Riteish Deshmukh’s Raja Shivaji movie garners critical acclaim

    Eric Bana as Kyle Turner, Lily Santiago as Naya Vasquez in Untamed.Courtesy of Netflix

    Fancy gripping mystery? Netflix’s ‘Untamed’ is a must-watch

  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side
MM News
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • National
  • Showbiz
    Dennis Quaid, David Oyelowo and Forrest Goodluck in the 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves' finale Paramount+

    Popular Paramount+ western ‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ set for Netflix release

    Taana Baana’s ‘Qurban’ Eid campaign draws backlash

    In Pictures: Met Gala Best and Worst looks

    Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz in 2016. (Donato Sardella/Getty)

    Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden welcome third child

    LHC partially suspends damages ruling against Meesha Shafi in Ali Zafar defamation case

    Nimra Khan announces second marriage

    Colombian pop star Shakira performs during her free concert on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Saturday, May 2, 2026. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)

    Shakira lights up Rio with free concert attended by 2 million

    What Dananeer Mobeen is doing in London?

    Riteish Deshmukh’s Raja Shivaji movie garners critical acclaim

    Eric Bana as Kyle Turner, Lily Santiago as Naya Vasquez in Untamed.Courtesy of Netflix

    Fancy gripping mystery? Netflix’s ‘Untamed’ is a must-watch

  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
MM News
اردو
  • Latest
  • Showbiz
  • Thought Box
  • Business & Stock
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side-Pakistan
Home World

International spectators barred from Tokyo Olympics

MM News Staff by MM News Staff
March 21, 2021
Reading Time: 2 mins read

TOKYO: International spectators will not be allowed to enter Japan for this summer’s Olympic Games amid public concerns over coronavirus, setting the stage for a drastically scaled-back event.

Around 600,000 Olympic tickets purchased by overseas residents will be refunded, as will another 300,000 Paralympic tickets, Toshiro Muto, the chief executive of the Tokyo 2020 organising committee told a news conference.

The Olympic Games were postponed last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The organisers and Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga have vowed to press ahead with the Games, now scheduled to take place on July 23-August 8, with the Paralympics on August 24-September 5.

ADVERTISEMENT

The decision on international spectators will “ensure safe and secure Games for all participants and the Japanese public,” Tokyo 2020 organisers said in a statement following five-way talks that included the head of the International Olympic Committee, Thomas Bach and the Tokyo governor.

READ MORE: Bach re-elected as IOC chief, promises ‘safe, secure’ Tokyo Olympics

“People who are involved in the Olympics in some way may be allowed to enter the country, whereas regular visitors will not be able to,” Muto said. He said costs for hotel cancellations would not be covered. Organisers may also consider cutting the number of staff members who will participate in the Games.

Bach said he shared the disappointment of Olympic fans as well as the families and friends of athletes who had planned to travel to Tokyo.

“For this I’m truly sorry. We know that this is a great sacrifice for everybody. We have said from the very beginning of this pandemic that it will require sacrifices,” he said in a statement.

He said safety had to come first, adding, “I know that our Japanese partners and friends did not reach this conclusion lightly. Together with them, the IOC’s top priority was, is and remains to organise safe Olympic and Paralympic Games for everyone,” Bach said.

A majority of the Japanese public are wary about letting in international spectators to watch the Games as the country grapples with the tail-end of a third wave of the pandemic. The decision did not cover local spectator and organisers will decide next month on caps for spectators in venues.

Tags: OlympicsspectatorsTOKYOTokyo Olympics
ShareTweetSendShare
Previous Post

NCOC to decide on holding Pakistan Day parade tomorrow

Next Post

Rice exports decrease 4.26 percent in fiscal year

Related Stories

World

Trump pauses Hormuz shipping under Project Freedom

May 6, 2026
File photo
World

Israel extends detention of Gaza flotilla activists, lawyers say

May 5, 2026
Online
World

Trump says stronger US–China relations preferable to conflict

May 5, 2026
Trump urges other nations to send ships to secure Strait of Hormuz
World

US warns of ‘devastating’ response to any Iran attack on shipping

May 5, 2026
Next Post

Rice exports decrease 4.26 percent in fiscal year

Latest

Oil prices fall a second day as Trump indicates possible Iran peace deal

4 months ago

The disconnect in Pakistan’s Hepatitis C elimination drive

4 months ago

Pakistan welcomes first transshipment cargo vessel of May at Gwadar Port

4 months ago

Heidi Klum’s craziest looks through the years

4 months ago

Pakistan Navy saves 6 Indian crew members in Arabian Sea

4 months ago

Revised timings for gyms, sports activities announced in Islamabad

4 months ago

Pakistan Army top brass rejects Taliban’s propaganda

4 months ago

Israel extends detention of Gaza flotilla activists, lawyers say

4 months ago

Latest

Oil prices fall a second day as Trump indicates possible Iran peace deal

4 months ago

The disconnect in Pakistan’s Hepatitis C elimination drive

4 months ago

Pakistan welcomes first transshipment cargo vessel of May at Gwadar Port

4 months ago

Heidi Klum’s craziest looks through the years

4 months ago

Pakistan Navy saves 6 Indian crew members in Arabian Sea

4 months ago

Revised timings for gyms, sports activities announced in Islamabad

4 months ago

MM Digital (Pvt.) Ltd.

MM News is a subsidiary of the MM Group of Companies. It was established in 2019 with the aim of providing people of Pakistan access to unbiased information. Contact Details: 03200201537

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Advertise
  • MM News Urdu
  • The Other Side-Pakistan
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Top Pages

  • Latest News
  • Showbiz
  • OP-ED
  • Technology
No Result
View All Result
  • Latest News
  • Showbiz
  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology

© Copyright 2024 MMNews - All Rights Reserved.