KARACHI: The Iranian-flagged container vessel M/V Touska, seized by U.S. forces last month after attempting to breach a U.S. naval blockade, has been transferred to Pakistan along with most of its crew for repatriation to Iran, U.S. Central Command confirmed to local media.
“Today, U.S. forces completed the transfer of 22 crew members of M/V Touska to Pakistan for repatriation,” CENTCOM spokesman Capt. Tim Hawkins said in a statement to U.S. media.
Six additional passengers aboard the vessel were transferred to “a regional country” last week, Hawkins added. Iranian state media identified those six as family members of crew members.
The Touska is now in the process of being returned to its original ownership, according to Hawkins. “Custody of Touska is currently being transferred back to its original ownership after the ship was intercepted and seized when attempting to violate the U.S. naval blockade against Iran last month,” he said.
The seizure followed a confrontation on April 19 in which the Touska’s crew ignored six hours of warnings from U.S. Navy vessels, according to Gen. Dan Caine, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Speaking at an April 24 Pentagon news conference, Caine said a U.S. destroyer fired several rounds into the container ship’s engine room after the warnings went unheeded.
U.S. Marines subsequently boarded and seized the vessel.
The incident occurred amid enforcement of a U.S. naval blockade against Iran. U.S. officials have not disclosed the Touska’s cargo or intended destination at the time of interception.
Middle East observers believe the transfer to Pakistan marks the latest step in resolving the diplomatic and military standoff over the vessel. It remains unclear when the 22 crew members will complete their return to Iran from Pakistan.















