No Result
View All Result
Monday, August 24, 2026
MM News
اردو
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • National
  • Showbiz
    Dennis Quaid, David Oyelowo and Forrest Goodluck in the 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves' finale Paramount+

    Popular Paramount+ western ‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ set for Netflix release

    Taana Baana’s ‘Qurban’ Eid campaign draws backlash

    In Pictures: Met Gala Best and Worst looks

    Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz in 2016. (Donato Sardella/Getty)

    Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden welcome third child

    LHC partially suspends damages ruling against Meesha Shafi in Ali Zafar defamation case

    Nimra Khan announces second marriage

    Colombian pop star Shakira performs during her free concert on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Saturday, May 2, 2026. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)

    Shakira lights up Rio with free concert attended by 2 million

    What Dananeer Mobeen is doing in London?

    Riteish Deshmukh’s Raja Shivaji movie garners critical acclaim

    Eric Bana as Kyle Turner, Lily Santiago as Naya Vasquez in Untamed.Courtesy of Netflix

    Fancy gripping mystery? Netflix’s ‘Untamed’ is a must-watch

  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side
MM News
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • National
  • Showbiz
    Dennis Quaid, David Oyelowo and Forrest Goodluck in the 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves' finale Paramount+

    Popular Paramount+ western ‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ set for Netflix release

    Taana Baana’s ‘Qurban’ Eid campaign draws backlash

    In Pictures: Met Gala Best and Worst looks

    Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz in 2016. (Donato Sardella/Getty)

    Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden welcome third child

    LHC partially suspends damages ruling against Meesha Shafi in Ali Zafar defamation case

    Nimra Khan announces second marriage

    Colombian pop star Shakira performs during her free concert on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro, Saturday, May 2, 2026. (AP Photo/Silvia Izquierdo)

    Shakira lights up Rio with free concert attended by 2 million

    What Dananeer Mobeen is doing in London?

    Riteish Deshmukh’s Raja Shivaji movie garners critical acclaim

    Eric Bana as Kyle Turner, Lily Santiago as Naya Vasquez in Untamed.Courtesy of Netflix

    Fancy gripping mystery? Netflix’s ‘Untamed’ is a must-watch

  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side
No Result
View All Result
No Result
View All Result
MM News
اردو
  • Latest
  • Showbiz
  • Thought Box
  • Business & Stock
  • Opinions
  • Technology
  • The Other Side-Pakistan
Home World

UN warns of cholera threat in flood-hit Libya

MM News Staff by MM News Staff
September 16, 2023
Reading Time: 4 mins read

GENEVA: The United Nations humanitarian aid chief said that Libya needed equipment to find people trapped in sludge and buildings, as well as primary healthcare to prevent a cholera outbreak among survivors, following devastating floods.

“Priority areas are shelter, food, key primary medical care because of the worry of cholera, the worry of lack of clean water,” Martin Griffiths, the UN Emergency Relief Coordinator, told a briefing in Geneva.

He said the UN humanitarian office had sent a disaster coordination team of 15 people to Libya who had been redeployed from Morocco, which suffered an earthquake last week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Griffiths called for solidarity with the people of the two countries and spoke of the tragedy of people looking desperately for their loved ones for days on end.

In Libya, “some have lost 50 or more family members”, he said. Asked whether the UN was “ready” when disaster struck, Griffiths answered: “Unequivocally, yes.”

He told reporters that within 24 hours of the earthquake which shook Morocco’s Atlas Mountain range last Friday, the UN deployed a disaster assessment and coordination (UNDAC) team of 15 people out of Geneva and key staff from the region.

That team was now being redeployed to Libya with the consent of the Moroccan authorities to support essential coordination of the humanitarian response to the deadly floods.

“If you don’t have coordination, there’s chaos. And that loses lives,” Griffiths insisted. The UN Emergency Relief Coordinator said that in Morocco, the earthquake had claimed nearly 3,000 lives.

READ MORE: Libya floods wipe out quarter of city, thousands dead

Although the early figures were “terrible enough”, they were likely to be overtaken by events as rescuers worked through the rubble. He highlighted the country’s “distinguished history” of building up response capacities in recent years.

The UN humanitarian chief stressed that the response in the country was moving from the initial phase, when the focus was on finding survivors and providing for the internment of those killed, to phase two, where supporting the survivors with aid – shelter, food, medicine – became the main priority.

In Libya, where the UN already had a humanitarian presence on the ground, a “completely different catastrophe” unfolded, Griffiths said, that was “appalling, shocking, unimaginable in its consequences”.

There was speculation that some 20,000 people may have lost their lives in the massive flooding triggered by Storm Daniel over the weekend. Access to the city of Derna, the epicentre of the tragedy, remained difficult.

The UN relief chief said that 900,000 people in the country had been affected, “on top of a situation where 300,000 people in Libya already needed humanitarian aid”.

Griffiths described the challenges on the ground in the response to the disaster in Libya. This included coordinating with the internationally recognized government and the de facto authorities in the east, discovering the “full extent” of the disaster, as floods and torrents had destroyed buildings and sludge was still concealing the “level of death and need”, as well as “getting the right aid to the right people at the right time”.

“That’s why coordination is so important,” he said. “It’s not a bureaucratic issue, it’s a prioritization issue. Helping key humanitarian agencies to do the job they do so well.”

On Thursday, the UN launched a flash appeal for Libya just over $71 million targeting 250,000 people for the next three months.

The UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in the country, Georgette Gagnon, was leading the organization’s response efforts and a coordination hub had been established in Benghazi.

Griffiths detailed the most urgent needs in Libya: equipment to find people in the sludge and the damaged buildings, shelter, food, clean water and sanitation, as well as key primary medical care, as the threat of cholera looms large.

He said the possibility of opening a maritime route to bring in aid to Derna, as requested by the city’s mayor, made “complete sense”, and stressed the urgency of simultaneously supporting people fleeing to the south, away from the disaster area.

The UN relief chief also underscored the need for psychosocial care, a “huge issue” given the extent of the trauma caused by the disaster.

Griffiths stressed that in Libya, “climate and capacity have collided to cause this terrible tragedy”. He called the disasters in both countries a “deeply shocking” and “massive” reminder of climate and its presence.

“We face a really difficult year ahead and government capacities will be stretched to the limit in both these countries,” he said.

Tags: floodslibya
ShareTweetSendShare
Previous Post

Why is Britain banning American XL bully dogs?

Next Post

Iran deploys heavy security on Mahsa Amini’s death anniversary

Related Stories

World

Trump pauses Hormuz shipping under Project Freedom

May 6, 2026
File photo
World

Israel extends detention of Gaza flotilla activists, lawyers say

May 5, 2026
Online
World

Trump says stronger US–China relations preferable to conflict

May 5, 2026
Trump urges other nations to send ships to secure Strait of Hormuz
World

US warns of ‘devastating’ response to any Iran attack on shipping

May 5, 2026
Next Post

Iran deploys heavy security on Mahsa Amini’s death anniversary

Latest

Oil prices fall a second day as Trump indicates possible Iran peace deal

4 months ago

The disconnect in Pakistan’s Hepatitis C elimination drive

4 months ago

Pakistan welcomes first transshipment cargo vessel of May at Gwadar Port

4 months ago

Heidi Klum’s craziest looks through the years

4 months ago

Pakistan Navy saves 6 Indian crew members in Arabian Sea

4 months ago

Revised timings for gyms, sports activities announced in Islamabad

4 months ago

Pakistan Army top brass rejects Taliban’s propaganda

4 months ago

Israel extends detention of Gaza flotilla activists, lawyers say

4 months ago

Latest

Oil prices fall a second day as Trump indicates possible Iran peace deal

4 months ago

The disconnect in Pakistan’s Hepatitis C elimination drive

4 months ago

Pakistan welcomes first transshipment cargo vessel of May at Gwadar Port

4 months ago

Heidi Klum’s craziest looks through the years

4 months ago

Pakistan Navy saves 6 Indian crew members in Arabian Sea

4 months ago

Revised timings for gyms, sports activities announced in Islamabad

4 months ago

MM Digital (Pvt.) Ltd.

MM News is a subsidiary of the MM Group of Companies. It was established in 2019 with the aim of providing people of Pakistan access to unbiased information. Contact Details: 03200201537

Quick Links

  • Home
  • Advertise
  • MM News Urdu
  • The Other Side-Pakistan
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

Top Pages

  • Latest News
  • Showbiz
  • OP-ED
  • Technology
No Result
View All Result
  • Latest News
  • Showbiz
  • Thought Box
  • Business
  • Opinions
  • Technology

© Copyright 2024 MMNews - All Rights Reserved.